Friday, November 26, 2010

A Found Treasure

Last week a group of us from church went to an elderly woman’s home to help pack up her belongs to be sent off to Goodwill. This woman had lived in the same apartment for some 50 years and now she had to move into a small care facility because of health reasons.

Essentially, we were carrying all of the woman’s belongings to the curb for an early morning Goodwill pick-up. Her great-granddaughter made a point to let us know that if there was anything we wanted, to feel free to take it and so as we gathered things, I discovered a few treasures and kept them.

One of which was a beautiful delicate vintage lamp I pictured sitting on my desk, another an ornate tin can I planned on converting into a pinhole camera, a knitting book I thought a friend would appreciate and lastly, a book of inspirational verses.



As we were traveling up and down the elevator, transporting all of the woman’s belongings, of which I imagine she had gathered and accumulated over her lifetime of more than 90 years, I couldn’t help but be saddened at the thought of her life being placed on a street curb. It felt more natural that everything should have a home because these things she cared for, she was given them as gifts, she saw them in a boutique window and saved her money to buy, she used them to raise her family, they graced her home for many years and now they littered a dimly lit street curb on a quiet culdesac.

The following day, I was thumbing through the Inspirational Verse book and discovered in the front page a handwritten message. It reads:



In reading these words, I understood more about life than I had known the moment before. I’ve always been aware of the fact that we never take any of our belongings with us once we leave this earth but at that moment, I was reminded of all the things we do take.

The love and admiration between Jeda and Elick is a tender one and truly is everything one could want. I imagine when both Jeda and Elick come to the moment of departing from this life, all that matters to them will be safe in their hearts.

The love, the friendships, the kindness, the loving sacrifices, the faith and hopes in ones spirit, the bonds forged, the beautiful moments are forever intertwined within. And so maybe, when we do depart from this life, it's not that we take nothing with us but that we take everything with us.

A verse dedicated to Jeda from Elick:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is an undefinable sentiment that I have felt approaching at various times in my life. I have recognized it sometimes in the survey of a rapidly-growing vine -- in the contemplation of a moth, a butterfly, a chrysalis, a stream of running water. I have felt it in the ocean; in the falling of a meteor. I have felt it in the glances of unusually aged people. And there are one or two stars in heaven -- in a telescopic scrutiny of which I have been made aware of the feeling. I have been filled with it by certain sounds from stringed instruments, and not unfrequently by passages from books. And now, by the reading of your blog.

Karen Rae said...

To be amid a star or two, I could only have dreamt, I'm so happy you've found any such thing in any one of my thoughts. Thank you, thank you, put a great big smile on my face!

Anonymous said...

Saw this photo project and it reminded me of your blog.

http://irinawerning.com/back-to-the-fut/back-to-the-future/

Karen Rae said...

I love it!! What a wonderful project, I can feel heart. The thought of what the future knows that the past doesn't and what the past knew that is now forgotten, I think this project helps one to remember those once forgotten things. Thank you for sharing with me, a real treat.

Anonymous said...

Wish there was something new from you to read.